New Dog/Pet Laws
Chambers County - Prepare yourself and set up your pet's housing accordingly. You have a full month to set up you dog's housing appropriately.
UNLAWFUL RESTRAINT OF A DOG OFFENSE: New Law effective: January 18, 2022.
1st Offense: Class C Misdemeanor (up to $500 fine)
2nd Offense: Class B Misdemeanor (up to 180 days in jail / $2000 fine)
MAY restrain a dog outside IF:
• Has shelter from weather with dimensions that allows the dog to stand and lie down in a normal position.
• No standing water or excessive animal waste.
• Shade from direct sunlight.
• Potable water.
• Has a restraint that is 5x the length of the dog or 10 feet long, whichever is greater.
MAY NOT restrain a dog outside IF:
• You use a chain.
• The restraint has weights attached.
• Collar or harness is not properly fitted.
• It does not have shelter and there is inclement weather to include:
o Rain, hail, sleet, snow, high winds.
o Actual temperature is below 32 F.
o A heat advisory has been issued.